Sunday, September 9, 2012

Flattop Mountain & Windstorm

This last week in Anchorage has been eventful to say the least.  After a week of rain, we were met with hurricane force winds on Tuesday night (speeds ranging from 40 mph - 90+mph.)  We knew it was windy but not that bad until we looked out the window of our friends' house and noticed a tree that was once standing behind their fence was now within a few feet of the house.  Most of the city was without power as well for most of Wednesday which made logging into work rather difficult for me.  I finally located a Starbucks that was open and set up shop there for the remainder of the afternoon.  Everything eventually returned to normal on Friday.

In addition to the storm, we were also supposed to have a home inspection on the house that we bought and will hopefully be closing on at the end of the month! The inspection was pushed back a week due to the storm.  Alex and I also celebrated our 4th anniversary on Thursday :) It's been an amazing journey together so far and I'm looking forward to the next 4 up in Alaska!
Alex posing in front of our new house


The rain and wind finally cleared off on Saturday, so Alex, Mosie, and I decided to attempt hiking our first mountain; we headed out to Flattop Mountain on Saturday afternoon.  It's a really popular trail due to it's close proximity to Anchorage and it is only a 3 mile roundtrip hike.  Flattop has beautiful panoramic views of Anchorage and surrounding areas.  And while it may only be 3 miles, it has an elevation gain of 1200 feet.  Needless to say, I'm really feeling it today in my quads...

Me at the top of Flattop

Alex at the top of Flattop

View from Flattop Mountain

Looking down on Anchorage from Flattop Mountain

View from Flattop Mountain

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am so happy for you guys. What a great adventure to share. Congrats on your 4 year anniversary! I cannot believe that it was that long ago that we danced like fools on your wedding night.

    Have fun and I am looking forward to your blog updates!

    <3

    ReplyDelete