Tuesday, October 1, 2013

September Recap

September was fairly uneventful for us.  It was rather rainy/dreary so it made it difficult to get outside to go hiking or camping.  Here's a run down of a few things we did throughout the month...

-Alex and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary!! It doesn't seem possible that it's been 5 years already.  We have managed to squeeze in quite a bit in those 5 years :)  We wanted to get away and do something special for the big date but there aren't a lot of options up here outside of camping.  So, we booked a room at Alyeska [the ski resort 30 min or so south of Anchorage] and made dinner reservations at Seven Glaciers, the mountain top restaurant at the resort.  It was really nice just to get away from normal life for a night and relax.  In order to get to the restaurant, we had to take a tram ride to the top.  There are views of the inlet as well as 7 different glaciers [hence the name of the restaurant :)]  It looked like the clouds were going to blow over as we were riding to the top but the rain quickly broke through so we watched it rain while enjoying our meal.



-Alex played Army and was out in the field for just over a week in the middle of the month.  He was trying for the EFMB [Expert Field Medical Badge.]  It's a very intense set of written and performance tests including day/night land navigation, combat casualty tasks, and ends with a 12 mile ruck march.  Unfortunately, he didn't make it through to the end.  They make it extremely tough to accomplish - only a handful out of 140 soldiers actually received the badge this time.  He was happy with how far he made it on his first effort and was glad to have a hot shower when he got home.

-While Alex was away I decided to paint our front door.  I've been wanting to freshen up the exterior of our house for awhile so I started with the door.  I think it really gives the house a new look.

-Finally, we took a drive last weekend to take in some of the rapidly changing fall colors.  Fall is quickly giving way to signs of winter... Snow is creeping down the mountains and it even snowed in town briefly last week.  It seems way to early for me but at least the dogs had fun rolling around in it.


1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I love the blue door! And your anniversary date sounds just lovely. With no AC in Europe, I am SO grateful for the cooler temps. But snow?! Not yet, please! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete